Protected by the copyright laws of the United States and the United Kingdom and by International Treaties.
Bearing in mind the truism that in order to preserve a just sense of proportion in relation to the present it is necessary constantly to cast one's mind upon the past, the writer has endeavoured to set forth in a brief and simple way the history of the ancient parish church of Kettins, which in April 1949 celebrated the seven hundredth anniversary of its dedication. It is presented to the public in the hope that it will meet the requirements of strangers to the Parish and others interested in the Church and create a more widespread interest in the many treasures and relics of the past which lie in its possession.
The writer must set forth his indebtedness to the late Dr James Fleming D.O., minister of Kettins parish from 1868 to 1911, from whom he derived much valuable information relating to the church. Many items and points of interest have been extracted from his records and notes. Thanks and gratitude are also due to Miss C. Hutchison, Broughty Ferry, for the use of notes prepared on the subject of the old bell by her uncle, the late Alex. Hutchison, Esq., F.S.A.(Scot.), an eminent antiquarian with a keen interest in the Church of Kettins. Special thanks are offered to Mr John Williamson, M.A., Dip. Ed., History Master in Morrison's Academy, Crieff, who has rendered much valuable assistance in reading through and correcting inaccuracies in the manuscript. Finally grateful mention must be made of Mr Frank Benzies of Messrs. Wm. Cui ross & Son, Ltd., Printers, whose interest and willing co-