Protected by the copyright laws of the United States and the United Kingdom and by International Treaties.
The first real history is recorded during the years 1178 -
We do know that nearby disciples of the Columban Church planted a Christian cell. The arrival of St. Columba at Hi or Iona marked the beginning of a forceful Christian Church in the land which eventually became the Kingdom of Scotland. Long after the supercession of the Celtic Church by the more highly organised Church of Rome, a remnant lived on under the name of the Culdee Church and it is believed that a Culdee cell existed in Kettins. There can be little doubt that the present Church had a predecessor of Celtic origin and that a house of worship did exist for many years prior to the consecration of the present "Ecclesia de Ketnes" to Saint Bridget by David de Bernham, Bishop of St. Andrews, on 18th April 1249.
Recorded history shows that in 1658 AD there was still a chapel in the south side of the village. The lands called Abden of Kettins included the chapel, Over Coston and Greenbarns ( South Corston and Greenburns) were transferred to one Alexander Campbell of Balgersho. There was also a transfer of East Townend of Kettins and Pitdownie in the Parish of Kettins to one George McKenzie in 1691 AD.
At the beginning of the 18th century the population of the parish was considerably greater than it is to-
All the houses in the village were owned by Hallyburton Estate and it is supposed that each occupier had a tap to their house as they could afford it, but by the late 1950's there were still a few houses with no mains water supply. At the time of writing all houses are now connected to the water mains and have access to septic tank drains. The septic tanks in some cases have been replaced by the Bio Disk type of system.
In the early 1950's, electricity came to the village and as with the water each occupier took it on themselves when the supply was brought into their houses. (Many houses are now owned by their occupier, the estate having sold them).
Some time in the 1970's the whole village was declared to be a "Conservation Area" under local government control in the hope of preventing massive alterations and preserve the face of the village. However over the last few years there have been several houses built. Fortunately these do not detract from the overall look of the village.
Today, Kettins is a small village who’s residents are only too pleased to see and welcome new visitors to our beautiful ancient village.
WELCOME TO OUR VILLAGE..... The oldest village in Scotland